I need to leave my tenancy

Every year, people need to leave their tenancies for various reasons: for example, they may not make it in to the next year of university study, or they may have personal reasons.

If this happens, and you are 100% sure you wish to leave the tenancy, you need to do as below.

Please be aware that you cannot be released from your obligations under the contract (i.e. to pay rent) until a new contract has been fully signed by all other tenants, your replacement and by us.

Step 1

You will need to request a ‘Release Letter’ from the office – we can e-mail this out to you. There is an administration fee of £75 which you must return with the letter.

Step 2

We can advertise your room on our website and Rightmove after the administration fee has been paid – you need to request this in writing.

However, in the interests of letting the room as quickly as possible we would recommend you also advertise the room. You can use free websites such as Gumtree or Artful Lodger. You also may be able to use University accommodation forums or the Students’ Union – speak to them for more info.

Step 3

If your tenancy in the property has started: your housemates will need to sign our letter stating that you have done no damage to the property and they are happy for you to receive your full deposit back. You can request for us to e-mail this out to you. (If you have caused any damage, you will need to pay for it before you leave!)

If your tenancy has not yet started: this step does not apply.

Step 4

When you have found a replacement, that person and the rest of your housemates need to book a time to come into our office at the same time to sign a new contract. You are not released from your obligations under the tenancy until this has been done. You can only apply for your deposit to be returned after this.


This is just a general guide and the process may depend on the individual circumstances of your tenancy. If you have any questions regarding the above please don’t hesitate to contact us and ask – we are happy to try and help during what can be a stressful time for you.

For further information please read:

I Need To Leave My Tenancy Document